Solid Wood Furniture Care Tips
To keep your solid wood furniture from cracking and the joints from coming apart, you MUST maintain the humidity between 45%RH to 55%RH every day of the year.
This will prevent damage when it's in your house, garage, basement or storage. You can purchase a humidity gauge from your local hardware store. Also, please remember never set your furniture close to a heat register and avoid direct sunlight.
Caring for your new furniture
Easy care tips that will enhance your solid wood furniture.
- Maintain the humidity between 45%RH and 55%RH every day of the year.
- Absolutely avoid using solvents, water, hot or cold objectson the furniture for the first month, while the finish cures (damp cloths or Trade Secret polish are fine).
- Open the doors and drawers for 1 hour daily during the first month to insure proper curing of the inside.
- Avoid direct sunlight (use drapes or blinds during the day).
- Use pading under all rough china and hot or cold objects.
- Store table leaves in close proximity to table or in the same humidity and avoid storing leaves in damp basement where the leaves may swell.
- Dust often with a soft cloth, following the grain pattern of the wood.
- For cleaning you may use a damp cloth. Dry immediately with a soft cloth and buff slightly, following the grain. Alternately ask your retailer for Trade Secret furniture polish.
- DO NOT wax or use any polish like Pledge, or anything that could contain silicon.